2020 Toyota & Panasonic – Toyota has been slow in racing in the race to build cars with caps, preferring to rest on its laurels as the first company to sell conventional hybrid cars in large quantities. Apart from that, he has launched his batch with fuel cell technology, managing to sell hundreds of his Mirai hydrogen sedans around the world in recent years. And Then there’s this thing:
2020 Toyota & Panasonic
But Toyota is in danger of falling behind as the electric car revolution is gaining momentum, especially in China and other world markets. And So, he has formed a joint venture with Panasonic to manufacture EV batteries. Toyota will have 51% of the new business and Panasonic the remaining 49%. Panasonic will transfer ownership of five battery manufacturing facilities in China and Japan to the new entity, but the agreement does not affect its association with TESLA in Nevada.
According To Nikkei Asian Review, the total amount of battery capacity of the new company will be 50 times greater than that used by Toyota now for its standard hybrid vehicles. The expectation is that such expanded capacity will drastically reduce the cost per unit of the batteries.
The joint venture will also supply batteries to Mazda, which is associated with Toyota in EV technology, along with the Toyota Daihatsu and Subaru subsidiaries. Honda currently uses Panasonic battery cell in it is hybrid projects and will also benefit from the new combined manufacturing arrangement.
The two companies will also cooperated in the development of next generation solid-state batteries that are expected to increase the range of electric cars at a lower cost than current lithium-ion batteries. They’Ve been working together on solid state technologies since 2017. One of the perceived advantages of solid state batteries is that they do not have liquid electrolytes that can ignite on rare occasions.
Toyota plans to triple its annual sales of electrified vehicles, a term that includes conventional hybrids, at 5.5 million for 2030, but lower battery prices are essential to achieve that goal. The new business relationship Is expected to help bring cheaper batteries to the market and distribute development costs in a broader business model. The link between the two companies can also enable them to compete more effectively for scarce raw materials as the demand for batteries increases worldwide.
Does Any of this mean that Toyota has moved away from its fixation on fuel cell vehicles at last? Not necessarily, but it indicates a course correction that could be tilted in that direction in the near future.
Toyota and Panasonic Battery producer agreed to establish a joint venture (JV) to develop prismatic (soft pack) batteries in order to sell them to OEMS via Panasonic.
Light Batteries Are considered to offer weight, space, and cost savings, all of which have implications for the entire supply chain. It Is reported that they optimize efficiency, as well as offering the option of using fewer cells, while offering a greater number of design possibilities, according to their defenders.
Subject to antimonopoly approval, Japanese companies plan to establish the JV at the end of 2020. Toyota will own 51%, Panasonic 49%.
The new company will cover research, development, production engineering, manufacturing, procurement, ordering and management related to lithium-ion prismatic batteries for automotive, solid-state batteries and Last generation.
Toyota’s main contribution will be the transfer of personnel, technical know-how and market data related to electric vehicles (EV), equipment and its Monozukuri philosophy (a comprehensive manufacturing approach) specifically for the development and JV Production Engineering. It Is estimated that the new company Will employ 3,500 workers from the founding partners.
Depending on the acceleration of the demand for electric vehicles, “numerous” battery-related problems must be addressed, according to Toyota. They Include the use of advanced technology to address cost, energy density, charging time and safety, as well as being able to ensure stable supply capacity and efficient recycling.
“The business environment is one in which the independent efforts of battery manufacturers or automobiles are not enough to solve the problems in question ” said the car manufacturer.
Toyota’s executive vice president, Shigeki Terashi, added: “By contributing to the popularization of Toyota’s electrified vehicles and other car manufacturers, we want to help find solutions to problems such as global warming, Environmental and energy-related challenges “.
Toyota’s corporate strategies include the promotion of electric vehicles as a whole, with the company targeting its annual global sales of electric vehicles to units above 5.5 million.
The OEM and Panasonic announced a feasibility study on the JV of prismatic batteries at the end of 2017. Since then, they have achieved high capacity and performance of these batteries, said Toyota.